NPR's Invisibilia Reaches 10 Million Plays. (2015, February 3). Retrieved February 5, 2015, from http://www.npr.org/about-npr/383255428/npr-s-invisibilia-reaches-10-million-plays
NPR's newest podcast Invisibilia, which debuted on January 9 of this year, has become NPR's most downloaded show. The show is in the Top 10 list on iTunes and in a surprisingly short amount of time. The show has been available for about a month and already the show has been heard 10 million times. NPR's Vice President of Programming stated that "this confirms...expert story-telling, approaching difficult subjects with a combination of rigorous reporting and a human perspective, works across all platforms." Invisibilia became the biggest public radio program launch, with the program premiering "on more than 300 public radio stations around the country and... streamed in podcasts and web players everywhere."
Borrowing words from a previous blog post, I am believing more and more that this year is "the year of the podcast." The podcast Serial became the "big break" for podcasts into the mainstream culture, and the 10 million plays on this brand new podcast just proves it. Audiences are recognizing the quality and entertainment of podcasts much more now. It is amazing to me how this show is already receiving a huge audience after launching only a month ago! It is a smart move on NPR's part, though, to make the show available on all of their resources, which is all the public radio stations and other NPR podcasts. In NPR podcasts I listen to, I have heard mention of Invisibilia. NPR wants to lead fans of podcasts to another podcast by using podcasts. Like I said…2015 is going to be the "year of the podcast!"
I enjoy reading your blog. I will have to check out Invisibilia...
ReplyDelete